So, let me tell you about today.
Today was the type of day that had me smashing the phone in the receiver, repeatedly. The type of day that turned my regular car journey into a particularly rough game of grand theft auto, the type of day that I cried on the way home, in the car alone, thinking about the first time I realised they were going to kill their mother off and sang David Grey on repeat at the top of my lungs. I dropped F bombs like it was my chosen profession and instead of going the gym, I came home to sit in stretch pants and a scowl.
When these days hit, and they do, I suggest you make these cookies. Cookies require no brain power, so even when you can’t think of anything other than going back to key the car that parked to close too you earlier, you can still make these.
These cookies have two types of chocolate in them, the milk chocolate chips keep there shape, while the dark chopped chocolate melts and becomes all oozey and puddlely. They have pretzels, which adds chunks of salty crunch but the star of these mood enhancing cookies is the browned butter. Seriously, they should bottle this stuff up and sell them to hormonal women and long suffering people who are forced to interact with them.
The butter goes an incredible warm brown colour, with a nutty buttery heavenly scent. It envelops you in a buttery cuddle and transports you whole new level. I can’t describe the smell. I would never do it justice. Brown butter is the bomb. The best F bomb I’ve ever dropped.
- 170g (1.5 cups) unsalted butter
- 200g (1 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 3/4 cup broken salted pretzels
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- To brown your butter, melt butter in a medium saucepan, once melted, turn heat up slightly to a low/medium heat. Allow to cook four 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Once foamy, keep a close eye on it, it goes from brown to burnt in no time. Lots of little brown bits will appear in the mixture, keep stiring and do not let them catch, once it smells all nutty (the most intoxicating smell you will find in a kitchen) remove from the heat and pour into a bowl to cool.
- Mix in sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Mix in flour, salt, cornflour and bicarb. Then add in the pretzels and chocolate.
- Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper and using an ice cream scoop, place scoops about an inch or two apart.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour, ideally 3 and upto over night.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC/Gas Mark 4/350oF
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, till browned at the edge and soft in the middle. Do not over bake.
- Cool on the tray for 10 minutes then remove and eat.
- They should keep for up to a week but they will go far faster than that.
- Once scooped and chilled, you can freeze for 3 months. Bake straight from the freezer for an extra minute or two.